Sunday, October 13, 2013

Greetings.

The "Chinese Room" is a thought experiment by John Searle used to argue against the idea that a computer could actually possess true artificial intelligence. In this thought experiment, an English speaker is in a room with Chinese symbols and complex instructions. When someone passes a question through a slit in the door in Chinese, this person, who does not himself speak Chinese, is able to follow the instructions, put symbols together, and answer the question.

Searle claims that since the person does not understand Chinese, then a computer similarly cannot truly understand questions put to it.

I believe  that this is an error. The person in the room is not "the computer." That person is only the processor. The room as a whole is the computer. And (assuming that the "Chinese Room" can pass a reasonable test of consciousness) the room as a whole does understand Chinese.

I am not a trained philosopher, nor a computer scientist. I am a science teacher whose primary background and interest is biology. Naturally, that means I teach chemistry. So maybe I'm the Chinese room, and maybe I'm the person in it. Who really knows? Do you take the Red Pill, or the Blue Pill?

This blog will contain my discussions of scientific, educational, economic, and political issues, from the point of view of someone who knows about enough to get himself into trouble. I may or may not have much time for extensive research beyond a link or two. I may or may not know what I am talking about. But I do hope always to think as a scientist. By that I mean that the real world is out there, and is the final authority. Disagree with me if you like, but lets try to be reasonably respectful, of each other as well as of the real world.

As I once told biology students who wanted to argue about evolution, feel free, but it's always about the evidence. If you have questions about the evidence, ask away. If you're just rejecting scientific conclusions because you don't like them, sorry, but the real world doesn't much care what you do or do not like.

I am an avid homebrewer, husband and father, and a grandfather. I love the natural world, but seldom have the time to do what I would love the most, just wander around in a natural setting and take in the wonder of life. I am a materialist in the philosophical sense. I see no evidence for supernatural phenomena, and to be completely honest, I'm not sure just what could count as evidence of non-material things anyway.

As my students always complain, I have already talked too long for an introductory post.

No comments:

Post a Comment